a personal trainer in CA who needs insurance

Things You Need To Know About Personal Training Insurance

As a personal trainer or fitness instructor, you probably don’t think too much about insurance. However, you’re running a business and proper insurance coverage is just as important for you as any other enterprise.

Insurance companies don’t sell specific personal training insurance. Instead, they usually offer a tailored business owner’s policy. A BOP provides broader coverage under one premium, and it is more affordable than if you bought separate policies.

The following are typical coverages recommended for personal trainers or fitness instructors.

Commercial General Liability (CGL)

General Liability coverage is essential for all businesses, but particularly when you work with the public. It protects you from the financial implications of third-party claims arising from bodily injury or property damage on your premises, whether that’s a gym or in your home.

For instance, a client could trip over a dumbbell, break their arm and their new iPhone, and sue you. Coverage typically includes compensation for a legal defense, property damage, and the injured party’s medical bills.

Professional Liability Insurance

Professional Liability coverage protects you against the cost to defend and settle third-party claims of negligence, errors, or omissions from your professional services.

It is important to remember that lawsuits can arise from disgruntled clients, whether you did anything wrong, or not. You’ll bear the burden of legal fees if you do not have insurance coverage.

Your policy may also cover temporary staff or independent contractors while you’re dealing with a client’s claims as well as the costs associated with an investigation by your licensing board. Some policies also compensate you for your loss of earnings while in court, mediation, or arbitration.

Product Liability Insurance

Product liability insurance protects you from the costs associated with injuries caused by products or equipment used when you train your clients.

For instance, you’re training a client on a TRX suspension system and the handle breaks. Your client crashes to the ground and injures their back. Even though you didn’t make the equipment, they could sue you since you advised them to use it. With product liability insurance, you’re protected from the legal costs.

Sexual Misconduct Liability

No one can predict what their clients might do. Physical training is an intimate process and clients can misinterpret your actions.

If a client claims you acted inappropriately you could find yourself in a lawsuit. Without sexual misconduct liability insurance, you’ll pay the legal bills and these cases can drag on for months or years. Sexual misconduct is not covered under general liability insurance, either.

Don’t leave your future and your business assets at risk. Work with an independent insurance agent to find appropriate coverage. They have access to many specialized insurance packages and can tailor the best policy to your business needs.

A qualified independent agent works for you, not the insurance companies. They do the legwork and you enjoy the best possible coverage and rates. It doesn’t make sense to go it alone in the complicated insurance world.